Welcome to the first in a new series of blog posts called What To Wear? Since different types of portrait shoots have different wardrobe requirements, we’ll start with one of our favorite types of portraiture - Business Professional or Corporate Headshots!
A good business headshot portrays a professional image to your potential clients, helps share our personal brand, and shows “the face behind the business.” Here are some things to consider when planning your wardrobe for your headshot portrait session.
GENERAL WARDROBE ADVICE – KEEP IT SIMPLE!
* Choose a suite that fits you well and stick with a classic color like black, navy or grey. Don‘t choose anything with bold, distracting patterns or colors.
* Clothing with tight grids or a small herringbone pattern can have a moiré pattern effect on camera, so best to stay away from grid-like patterns.
* Strong stripes and patterns make a fashion statement and will be noticed – only wear these if it’s your personal style.
* Avoid shiny ties and feel free to bring tie options.
* Don’t wear all black – have some color in your outfit!
* You should shave on the day of the session. We’ll retouch any nicks or scratches if they happen to occur that morning. We can’t edit out stubble after the fact, so make sure your facial hair looks just right for the session. If you have a beard and/or mustache, trim it so it’s nicely groomed.
* Choose an outfit that makes you look and feel your best.
* If you’re wearing a suit, like the above advice, stick to a classic color like black, navy or grey.
* Don’t choose anything with bold, distracting patterns or colors and avoid shiny material.
* Try to avoid stark white unless it’s a blouse under your suit jacket or sweater.
* V-necks accentuate the neckline, but avoid showing cleavage. Also avoid short sleeves and tank tops.
* Your makeup should be moderate and basic, as if you were going to a nice function. Bring your favorite lipstick and some powder, if possible. Try to stay away from really bright lipstick and shimmery eye shadow. If you don’t wear much makeup every day, please do not do your makeup like Kim Kardashian!
* Keep your jewelry simple and classy, so stay away from statement pieces. We want the focus to be on you! Anything that’s not too loud will work great.
* Try not get a haircut or color right before your session. A new haircut looks best 1-2 weeks after a cut/color.
Our retouching is honest and natural and it also ensures technical excellence for your image.
Retouching will include the following, as needed: Blemish removal, teeth whitening, stray hair removal, reducing age lines, and minimizing circles under the eyes.